Our History 1914-2014
In August of 1914, Rev. George Klattenhoff became the first resident pastor of Our Redeemer and began organizing an elementary school. He would serve as the first teacher. Mr. A. Mauer became the first called teacher in 1919. He conducted classes for 14 students.
By September of 1925, enrollment had grown to 38 students. Also in September of that year, Mr. Carl Rose accepted a call to become teacher and principal.
Early in 1947, a new parish building containing four classrooms and a large fellowship hall was completed at 9153 E. Milton. By 1954, enrollment had grown to the point where additional classroom space was needed so a temporary building was built adjacent to the existing building.
In 1960, a new church building with five classrooms was dedicated. At this time, staff consisted of six teachers and a teaching principal. In 1972, Our Redeemer expanded its education ministry by beginning a cooperative pre-school program. In the 20 years of the pre-school’s existence, it had shown steady growth so that by 1994, it had an enrollment of 100 students.
In 1985, construction was begun on an auditorium-gymnasium building. In addition to the new construction, the existing classrooms were remodeled to make them more energy efficient. By 1990, enrollment had grown to the point that additional classroom space was needed. Construction began on the Early Childhood Education Center (Preschool Building) in 1991. The building was designed to contain the preschool classes, resulting in additional space for Kindergarten through 8th grade.
The 2014-2015 school year was a special one--the 100th Year of Learning for Our Redeemer Lutheran School. Many special activities and celebrations occurred throughout this special academic year. The 100th academic day of this 100th academic year was an extra special celebration day with many alumni of the school joining in the festivities. God truly continues to bless the education ministries of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church and School.